In the spring of 2000, the Sackets Harbor Historical Society approached an informal group of area artists about joining them to create a cultural entity in downtown Sackets Harbor. Their idea was to renovate and restore a then vacant building located on Main Street. The partnership would work to preserve the Samuel F. Hooker House (cir.1809) to house the Sackets Harbor Arts Center.

AANNY (Arts Association of Northern New York) incorporated as a NYS educational non-profit membership organization in August of 2000, with an initial membership of 40 artists, preservationists and supporters.  From the summer of 2000 to the spring of 2007, AANNY operated a gallery for member's art, a sales area and taught classes in two rooms loaned to them by the historical society as renovations on the new art center progressed.  As partners, both groups worked diligently on historical preservation, art grants, and cleanup of the building in addition to providing architectural, electrical and heating plans. By spring of 2007, the majority of reconstruction was completed and AANNY had raised enough money to finish its new home's interior.

The Sackets Harbor Arts Center now includes a large gallery, smaller gallery with gift shop, kitchenette, 2 handicapped accessible bathrooms and 2 spacious studios for classes.

Our History